I hope this collection of 27 quotes help you to stop pleasing others due to fear of their disapproval. You will live a much happier life when you start listening to your own instincts instead of always seeking approval from other people. Otherwise you'll be just like a football getting tossed around here and there and geting nowhere.
It's okay to love others and to make them happy. What is not okay is doing things that you don't really want to do just because you dont want to displease them.
1. "Don't let the expectations and opinions of other people affect your decisions. It's your life, not theirs."
-Roy T Bennett.
2. “Don't go into the business of pleasing people. You can't please everybody. Simply do your best at what you do”
3. “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”
4. "Be happy. Be yourself. If others don't like it, then let them be. Happiness is a choice. Life isn't about pleasing everybody."
5. “If you are busy pleasing everyone, you are not being true to yourself”
6. “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
7. “When you stop living your life based on what others think of you real life begins. At that moment, you will finally see the door of self-acceptance opened.”
–Shannon L. Alder
8. “Never seek to please anyone. Seek to evolve thyself.”
-Lailah Gifty Akita
9. "You can't worry about pleasing other people; you have to please yourself."
10. “Life is yet to produce someone who is loved by or important to everyone.”
11. "Following our inner guidance may feel risky and frightening at first, because we are no longer playing it safe, doing what we 'should' do, pleasing others, following rules, or deferring to outside authority."
12. “What people think does not matter. 5 out of 10 people will never be pleased with us, pleasing the remaining 5 will unplease the pleased ones before. Therefore just please yourself and let it go.”
―Meeran W. Malik
13. "I think it's really important to follow your intuition and gut, and try not to do things just for the sake of pleasing other people."
14. “If you try to please all, you please none.”
15. “The only thing wrong with trying to please everyone is that there’s always at least one person who will remain unhappy. You.”
16. “You strive to please others, to fit in, and feel accepted. In spite of that, you still don’t feel accepted, and not because others don’t accept you, but because you haven’t accepted yourself as you are.”
17. “If you’re trying to please everyone, then you’re not going to make anything that is honestly yours, I don’t think, in the long run.”
18. "Don't conform for the sake of pleasing others. Mold yourself into the person that you want to be."
19. “The more you try to please people, the more they get control of you and you'll end up hurting yourself.”
20. "I loved myself for choosing to do what was right for me, no matter the cost. I forgave myself for trying to please others when I knew it wasn't right for me.”
―Heather "Anish" Anderson
21. "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
22. "When we are set free from the bondage of pleasing others, when we are free from currying others'approval-then no one will be able to make us miserable or dissatisfied."
23. “In trying to please all, he had pleased none.”
24. “It's okay to consider the feelings and thoughts of people who matter to us. But we should also understand that we cannot please everyone at the same time. Do what's best for you! Do what gives you peace, a clear conscience, and makes you happy.”
―Izey Victoria Odiase
This doesn't mean that you treat others badly or hurt them. Spreading happiness and making others happy is a good thing. It becomes bad when you go out of your way to make them happy such as doing things that goes against your principles in order to please them. Remember its not your job in this world to please everybody. And you can't even if you try.
When you're busy running around trying to please this person and that person, you lose touch with who you really are, with the inner you. Make others happy if you can but not at the cost of your own happiness and peace of mind.
Paulo Coelho sums up up perfectly-
25. “When you say “yes” to others, make sure you aren’t saying “no” to yourself"